Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I hit a deer...I think

I think I hit a deer on the way home tonight. Doesn't that sound better than saying "Honey, I hit a deer!" But I can say it with pure honesty, because I'm not sure if I hit the deer or not. I had just topped out over a hill headed toward home when it suddenly jumped from the bar ditch to the center of the road. I hit my brakes and swerved left. Probably not the smartest idea, but it was a big drop off to the right and there wasn't any oncoming traffic so in the split half a second I had to decide I decided staying on the road would be safer. This put the deer on my passenger side, but still headed the same way I choose to swerve. I think I heard a thud, but it was pretty quite and I never felt any impact. Since it was dark I decided to just drive the 7 miles to the house and overview my damage there. I pulled in backwards so I could better see with the porch light. I can't tell for sure if there is anything different on my car. It is pretty dirty because I haven't washed it for a few months. As far as I can see there is a few scuff marks right at the bottom of my passenger front door. That's it. Nothing else. No blood, no fur, no big dents I can't afford to fix. I think Heaven is watching out for me and hopefully with so little proof of a collision he is watching out for deer also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, I am glad you are alright. I did almost the exact same thing when I was living in Maine. Except it was a moose, I swerved into someones yard and I know I didn't hit it.