Friday, November 14, 2008

Home Improvements

Right now I am going through a big kick trying to make my home prettier and more uplifting. Part of it is because after Halloween, my house is so dull! But also because I want our home to feel more, well homey! In my quest I have managed to find a few things that I really like.

When my mom bought her house a few years ago the previous owners left this wall decoration in the home. Last year she made all of her kids get together and she did new family pictures and pictures of her kids. We then earned the right to replace this on her wall and I asked if I could have it. I love it. It made my hallway go from drab to fab! Today was the Holly Fair. It is where anyone who has talent (and also some who think they do) get together into 3 centralized locations and try to convince you that their stuff is better than the next persons. There is a ton of booths with jewelry, baby blankets, food, home decor, anything you can try to sell is there. I bought a few things that I think will add nicely to my home.

Ever since we moved here I have been looking for a coat rack. But I could never find the right one until I saw this one. It's perfect!

Then my mom and I saw this one and we knew that Josh had to have it. I'm not sure where I will hang it yet. Maybe above his gun cabinet or maybe I'll cave and let him hang it in the front room...

One problem in my home I am trying to correct is our lack of communications setup. Earlier this year I decided to move the computer to the kitchen so I could set up my scrap booking stuff in the spare bedroom. But to use the Internet we have to run the cord across the floor and up the wall. Every Sunday when my mother in-law comes up to email Dallon she trips on this cord and it jerks out of the wall. I thought this rug was way cute and I am hoping that it will hold the cord down so no one trips on it. Oh, and if I was ambitious enough, I bet I could make these. She just tears up old bed sheets and then crochets them into a rug.

The newest addition to my home that I am the most proud of is my memories/picture board. I have been looking for one of these for quite some time. I saw it a few weeks ago and a different craft fair. The lady was super sweet and custom made one for me. I had a hard time of thinking what to put on it. I thought about "The Christensen's" or something like that. But then I remembered the theme from last years National Adoption Conference and it was perfect! "love makes a family".

I want to have one more sign made up, but I need help finding the quote. I think I saw it on a blog recently, but I just looked through the ones I follow and I can't find it. It went something like "Sometimes He calms the storm and sometimes He calms the child." I think that was what it said, but I want to make sure I get it right. Has anyone seen this quote? Please help me find it!

2 comments:

Teah said...

I think that the quote you are looking for comes from a Scott Krippayne song called "Sometimes He Calms the Storm." It says. "Sometimes he calms the storm and other times he calms his child." Hope that helps.

Donovan

Desi said...

I love the projects! It's super fun to decorate the house and to get things that really speak to the people that live there.