Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Quest for the Perfect Dinner Roll Part 1...Sweet Milk Dinner Rolls

My mother in-law makes awesome rolls. They are so good; I even included them in my cookbook I did for Christmas. They are fun to make and they turn out so beautiful. But if you know me, you know that I need to be unique. I've made her rolls several times, but now I feel like I need to branch out and find my own roll that is special for me.

A few weeks ago we had a late Christmas dinner with my dad and it was my first time trying a different roll. They are a little on the sweet side but they were pretty good.

Sweet Milk Dinner Rolls
1 package (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs. butter, melted
1 tsp. salt
4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
----------
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk. Add the sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; *knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch the dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the rolls from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
*Or if you have Bosch mixer, just knead it with the dough hook for 5-7 minutes. If you don't have a Bosch mixer, you should get one. I do all my breads with mine.

These rolls were pretty good. Josh thought they tasted like the ones his grandma used to make so that made me feel special. But they aren't what I am looking for. I thought they were great served warm, but I didn't care for them the next day. I'm funny about my bread that way. I want it to continue to taste like it just came out of the over, even if it's 6 days later.

So the quest continues...

No comments: