Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bountiful Basket October 16th Update

Here is a reminder of what was in my basket:

8 green onions
4 cucumbers
2 stalks of broccoli
1 head of Romaine lettuce
3 carrots
4 tomatoes
4 grey squash
The fruits were:

8 bananas
2 bags of grapes
2 pomegranates
7 oranges
1 cantaloupe
8 apples (but only 7 made it home, Josh ate one while driving home)

I gave my green onions, cucumbers and tomatoes to my in-laws. I was also going to give them the cantaloupe, but it had a soft spot that got moldy before I could get it to them. But they still got after me because I could have fed it to the chickens.

For dinner one night I attempted to make a cheesy vegetable soup. It turned out pretty good considering I didn't use a recipe. I just started throwing stuff together.
My soup was made with:
Potatoes (they were from my first basket. I used all but four of them.)
1 red pepper (also left over from my first basket. That pepper lasted 2 weeks!)
3 carrots (They were so good. I was so sad to already be out of carrots.)
1 stalk of broccoli
All I had to buy for my soup was half & half, bacon bits, cheese, and bread bowls. I was so pleased with myself that I used so much of my basket in one meal. I know I could have added an onion, but onions are not my favorite. I'm still deciding what to do with them.

With the fruits we mostly just ate them as they were (bananas, apples and oranges). But I did use the grapes to make Grape Salad. It was so good to have with my lunches last week.

On Friday I needed to use up my lettuce because I would be getting more with my next basket today, so I seeded my pomegranates and had them with the lettuce. It was pretty good.

I haven't used my grey squash yet, but I plan to use them to make Lemon Zucchini cookies for Josh.

No comments: