Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October Swap Group - Fall Burlap Bunting

October was Jessica's turn to host Swap Group. I knew it would be a fun night, she is such a great hostess.

I LOVED her treat bar. It was so cute and so yummy. :) My favorite was the chocolate raspberries, even though I didn't seem to get an up close picture of just them.

Jessica always has the coolest stuff. I love her water container. And the little chalkboard, how cool is that!

In August, for her birthday, I gave her some cupcake books. Her pumpkin cupcakes came from one of the books. They turned out so cute.

For her craft, Jessica choose Fall Burlap Bunting. I've never worked with burlap before, and since there was no sewing, I was excited.

We started by cutting out the triangles. I wanted to do a fall and a Halloween banner, so I cut out twice as many.

Before hand, I had decided on my words and printed them out on regular paper. The letters were about 2 inches high.

We cut the letters out in squares and taped them to freezer paper. Then we traced around the letters with an exacto knife. On letters that had a center, like an "o", we had to save the center part for later. Before I could cut out "fall", one of the other gals showed up. She had precut several out using her Cricut machine. I have a Cricut, why wasn't I smart enough to do that. :p So instead of cutting out mine, I used one of hers.  

We ironed our letters onto the burlap. This is where you needed the center piece.


After that, we used a sponge type tool to paint our burlap through our stencils. After letting them dry, we peeled the stencil off.


Finally, we hot glued ribbon on to give it color and flourish.

I had to take a picture of this cute ghost, even though now I can't remember who made it or who won it.

My triangles all finished up.


My finished "fall" banner. I put it up long enough for a picture and will put it back up after Halloween.

My Halloween banner. I LOVE it! 
Thanks Jessica for choosing such a fun craft! The group is talking about going back to just swapping tucks or ornies, but I kind of hope they don't. I have LOVED learning new crafts.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm glad you had so much fun! I really love your "Spooky" bunting. :) Laura made the ghost, but right now I can't remember who won him either!