Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thoughts on Adopting An Older Child

Someone asked us if we had ever considered adopting a waiting child, a child that is no longer an infant. That is a tough question for me to answer.
Giving up my dream of being pregnant was not all that hard to give up. Morning sickness, mood swings, weight gain, labor, I could give that up. I don't mind messing that step in the process to motherhood.
But I am not ready to give up the dream of holding a tiny baby in my arms. I'm not ready to miss out on midnight feedings, first smiles, first steps, and yes even things like dirty diapers.
I know I could love an older child if that is what we were to be given. And someday I may change my mind and be more open to an older child. I have actually thought about Foster Care a few times and if I didn't work I would do that. But I believe that children who are placed in Foster care need a stable environment with constant love and discipline. Their world is falling apart and they are already in a strange place; I wouldn't want to turn around and send them to a babysitter all day.
Until Josh is finished with his schooling I will have to continue to work. I love my job so that isn't a problem for me. But I would LOVE to be a stay at home mom. I dream of the time when I will be able to kiss my husband off to work and then spend the day playing with my children. We'll build forts, read books, bake cookies, take naps, you know, all that normal motherly stuff.
I love people who do foster care. I had a good friend in high school that was raised by a foster family and I think it made a world of difference in her life. But for us, now just isn't the time. And neither is it yet the time for us to consider adopting an older child.

No comments: