Friday, April 9, 2010

Formspring question answered - Did you buy baby items?

Did you buy baby clothes and other baby stuff when C chose you? In light of everything, do you recommend waiting to do that and if so for how long? We haven't been matched yet and I don't know when to shop.

I think this is a choice each couple needs to make. If you were pregnant, would you start buying stuff? What if you miscarried after buying stuff?

When we were approved I choose to celebrate by buying John Deere blankets and pillows I found on eBay. One green and one pink. We also bought a swing, high chair, and play yard/bassinet. We were expecting our first nephew and hoped to get some babysitting hours with him so we figured we could put those to use. The high chair has come in handy a few times, like for my Halloween dinners.

When we were chosen I didn't start buying stuff right away. I wanted to know if it was a boy or girl first. I hate gender neutral stuff (like Winnie the Pooh). When we learned it was a girl I started a baby registry on Amazon.com. Everything on my list was pink. I was just waiting for our next trip to go shopping, but that never happened.

If I had purchased stuff, I don't know if it would have been any harder. I think after waiting so long to become parents you have the right to celebrate. If you are willing to take that leap of faith after being chosen, then you should. Don't let the doubt of others hold you back. Every time someone asked us "What if she changes her mind?" we responded with "We have waited too long for this. We are not going to worry about it. We are going to enjoy every minute of it." I have no regrets there.

Ask me a question on Formspring. Also be sure to view my page there, I'm not posting all the questions and answers.

2 comments:

From the Stork; An adoption Journey said...

I agree with you. I have baby stuff up in my spare bedroom that I just posted about today. It is hard but when you are in the moment you just want to have fun with it

Meka said...

Wow, that is such a good positive attitude to have, it's really amazing and I think you are right! I am not as good at that! You have taught me so much about adoption!