Saturday, April 24, 2010

Baby Shower Gifts

I've been busy the last few nights working on some baby shower gifts. Quite a while back I found a tutorial for Baby Sock Rose Bouquet. It looked so cute. However, I did not enjoy making it.

The first problem was finding socks. Oh, you can buy baby socks just about anywhere. But try finding a solid color sock. The ones with stripes and designs don't look as good rolled up as a rose.

They suggest using floral wire for the stems. I never could get it to work. My first rose attempt took 8 tries before I liked it enough to not undo it. Then the rose was so heavy, the stem wouldn't hold it upright. I had some old fake flowers that I haven't used since we moved, so I took the heads off and used them as stems instead. That worked better.


The other problem was taping the rose onto the stem. A few weeks ago I made flower pens at work and they were so easy to make. But the tape I bought for personal use would not stick. Not to the sock. Not to the stem. Not to itself. I ended up with 20 roses, but I made each of them at least 3 (or 8) times before I could be happy with them. By the end I was so frustrated that I didn't do my best effort on a few. (The ugly ones are buried in the middle with the good ones on top.)


Here's a close up of the best rose. Of course I also made a diaper cake. I love making those. I did this one a little differently. Each layer is diapers. On the middle layer I outlined it with onesies. Simple, but still cute.


3 comments:

Elizabeth and Brian said...

The Cake is awesome.

Jill Elizabeth said...

The little sock roses are so stinking cute! And I love the cake. Whoever these are for is seriously lucky.

From the Stork; An adoption Journey said...

You did a great job I hope they appreciate those and think they are as cute as I do. That was very nice of you to do