Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Challenge

I hate wearing glasses. I also hate wearing contacts. I can see okay without corrective eye care, but I know I see better with it.

I hate glasses because they make my face look crooked. Maybe on of my ears sits higher or maybe its my nose. I just know that when I wear glasses, they will not sit straight on my face. They pinch behind my ears and give me headaches. They don't stay up on my nose where I would like them too.

So for the last 18 months or so, I have been struggling to wear contacts. I have tried several brands now and I'm starting to think I might have to go back to wearing glasses. I am wasting money on contacts. I'll put in a new pair and wear for a week or so, then I won't wear them again for a few months. So I throw away an old pair of contacts that really only got a weeks worth of use.

My problem is that contacts make my eyes tired. I know the amount of sleep I get affects that to a degree, but even if I get a long nights sleep, I put my contacts in and within hours my eyes are sluggish and sleepy. That just affect my entire body and makes it think it too is sleepy. I also used to struggle with my eyes feeling dry, but this last brand has been better. Its not like having something on my eye bothers me. I don't think I would even notice them, if I felt fully awake. I can take my contacts out and within an hour I don't feel sleepy.

Last week I decided I have to commit to some form of eye correction. I still have a few sets of contacts left and I am going to give them one more chance. But this time I am in it for the long haul. I'm just starting into week 2. Sad to say, but that means I've probably broken a record of consecutive days overall of wearing contacts.

But this time I think I can do it. The first reason is I have a friend that is staying on me about it. I give her a daily update on how I'm doing and she cheers me on, or lectures me, which ever is needed. Yesterday I had a headache and took them out right after lunch, that is when she gets after me. I've never worn contacts on Friday's before because its my day off. But I did last Friday, and she cheered me on.

Every time I go to the eye doctor, I look at the pretty carrying cases they have for contacts and I think about buying one. But then I remember how well I don't wear contacts so I decide to not get one. My friend told me to set myself a reward.

So here's the challenge:

30 days (in a row) of contact wear and I am going to buy myself one of those pretty cases.I'm also going to start trying to challenge myself in all areas of life. I'm not sure how often I'll do this, but I'll try to keep you updated. My next challenge will be getting my bike fixed up so I can start riding it again. Oh, and find a new purse. I am desperate need of one of those.

What areas of life do you challenge yourself to be better in?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Contacts were the same for me. I always thought my eyes looked squinted and my eyes never really adjusted to having something directly on top of them. I don't necessarily like glasses either, but that's the only alternative because I cannot survive without something and am still too scared of corrective surgery! Maybe if your contacts don't work out, you could get some glasses and have them adjusted correctly so they didn't sit crooked on your face? Just an idea, but I hope the contacts work out and you can get that cute case! Love ya!

Heather said...

No you will wear you contacts proudly and wide awake!

Elizabeth and Brian said...

so now I want to see a pic of you in your glasses!

Mine is working on my health. I've gained 36 pounds since the twins died and 46 since doing IVF in 2007. I was big to begin with. I am ready for a change.