Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Curlformers

I have always dreamed of having curly hair. I envy people who have curly hair (and yes, I realize they envy my hair).

When I was in high school, I would set my alarm for 3 AM. When it went off, I would get up and plug in my hot curlers. I have so much hair, that it required to sets. At 4 AM the alarm would go off again. I would get up and quickly put the now very hot curlers in. Then I'd go back to bed for another hour or two. It was hard to sleep in them, but I figured it out. I know I was insane to do this, but I really wanted to have beautiful curls. But it was all in vain. By lunchtime, my hair would be flatter then flat.

Every few years I get the idea a perm will help, but those always end disastrously. In between those years, I forget that hot curlers don't really work for me and I buy two sets, only to never use them because I can't get the finished result I'm going for.

This spring, the curly hair bug bit me again when I saw an ad for Curlformers. I wanted to order them right that second, but decided to wait and think it through. Of course I ordered them a few months later. I tried them about a month ago and didn't love them. The ads said they were slightly uncomfortable to sleep in, but not bad. I disagree. That first night was horrid. I think I slept a total of 2 hours that night.

Then the next morning I took them out and looked like Curly Sue. The curls were tighter then what I wanted and I didn't like how I looked. In tears, I vowed to never use them again. Fortunately, later that day I realized that the curls do relax. Then I did love them.

Last night I decided to try them again. It takes me about an hour to get them all in, but that is because I have twice as much hair as must people. I think they recommend about 40-50 for a person, but I bought extras just in case. Which was a good thing, because I used all 84 of them.

Half way done. 

All done! I actually had to go back to my bottom layer and rearrange a few to free up a few more curlers to use on my top row. 

The first time I did this, I had one curler left. For those who keep asking if these are long enough for your hair, the curlers stretch out the entire length of the hook. So most likely, yes they are long enough.

The trick is sleeping in them. I have to have a pillow at night. I can't sleep without my head propped up, at least a little bit. But with these in, my pillow just doesn't work for me and comfort. The first time I did this, I got desperate at about 2 AM. It was either take them out, for find some way to sleep. I found Josh's sweat pants on the floor and rolled them in a ball. After that I was able to sleep peacefully for a few hours before the alarm went off. Last night I started with the rolled up sweats and slept pretty good all night. 

This is how they looked this morning. They stay in place very well.

Ignore my very sleepy eyes, I am not a morning person. I took this picture after I pulled out the last curler before doing anything to style my hair.

I decided to keep it simple and just add a ribbon to my hair. Notice how tight the curls still are. I don't love it, but I was counting on the curls to relax like they did last time.

A few hours later at work, I noticed they were perfect. I love that I have finally figured out how to curl my hair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great review! You look gorgeous with your curly hair! I love Curlformers too and use about 40 for my hair. I have learnt to sleep in them by tying them back with a scarf and now I get a good night's sleep, LOL!