Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Book Club - "Frenchman's Creek" by Daphne DuMaurier

It feels like FOREVER since our book club last got together in October last year. So with the holidays out of the way, I was excited to get back on track so we can have that extra excuse to hang out each month.

It was Kim's turn to choose the book; she choose "Frenchman's Creek" by Daphne DuMaurier. It is briefly mentioned in another of Kim's favorite books (by Dorothy Keddington) where the character mentions it is their book of the month for book club. So she thought it would be fun to make it our book of the month too. I'm so glad she choose it, I LOVED it.
Because of the big break, I actually read mine quite a while back. I thought about rereading it this month since it was so good, but my copy is lent out to someone else right now.

It is about a woman having a high seas adventure and falling in love with a Robin Hood like pirate. We didn't talk about the book much, because only half of us had read it. But the woman in the book unhappy in her marriage and ends up having an affair with the pirate. The book was written in like the 1940's, so its almost hard to tell there even was an affair, its a very clean read.  To me, it spoke of real life and how these things really can happen. I then had to reassure everyone, that even though hubs works out of town so much, he still takes care of me in other ways so that I don't become unhappy in my marriage. Lonely at times yes, but still happy with my marriage that it isn't a problem.

We ended up at Randi's house for book club so we could help her finish a quilt she had to have done before the weekend. By help, I mean we all visited while her mom and her tied. But we kept her little boy entertained so that counts, right?

I also volunteered to bring dessert. I see all these good things on Pinterest I want to try, but with my diet, I hate cooking fancy (aka, fattening) foods for just me and Josh. So I used book club as an excuse to try out two new recipes. Randi provided cheesy potato soup and bread sticks for dinner that were delish. Then I brought Rocky Road Brownies and Candied Popcorn. They were both so good!

A few months ago, Randi mentioned the book she was thinking about choosing, so I bought it. I can't wait to start reading it.

No comments: