Friday, June 3, 2011

Book Club - "Morality for Beautiful Girls" by Alexand McMall Smith

Because of illness and vacations, we ended up having to cancel book club in April. I was sad to miss out on a girls night and also worried I would forget how much I loved the book. Well, not really on the 2nd part, I really did enjoy this book. So much so, I wrote this blog post about 7 weeks ago when I finished reading the book, but I didn't want to post it until we discussed it in book club.

This month Randi choose the book. It is from a series called The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. She only had a copy of book #3. We talked about trying to find the 1st book, but the author does a really good job of catching you up in later books, so we agreed to read #3 "Morality for Beautiful Girls".

We only had one book to pass around the group (unless someone found it at the library) so I read it first. I wanted to read it quickly so I could pass it on, but that was easy to do because it was such a fun read.

Since I read it first, I started this post early so I could remember it. One of my favorite parts doesn't relate to the book theme as a whole, but it made me laugh so I thought I would include it.

"What was too big, anyway? Who was to tell another person what size they should be? It was a form of dictatorship, by the thin, and she was not having any of it. If these thin people became any more insistent, then the more generously sized people would just have to sit on them. Yes, that would teach them. Hah!"
(Morality for Beautiful Girls, pg 214-215)

I loved the book and was able to finish it over the weekend. Now I want to read the rest of the series. ;)

Update: I learned this week that HBO turned these books into a tv series and you can get it on Netflix.

No comments: