Saturday, August 7, 2010

Meeting Marcia Lynn McClure

Yesterday I got to meet my favorite author, Marcia Lynn McClure. I can't remember when I bought her first book, but I have been hooked ever since.

She came to Utah last year, but it was on the same day as the adoption conference, so I wasn't able to go. This year she went to three different place in Utah. I decided to go to Provo because if I have to drive in the city, its the one city I don't mind.

I guess last year the line was HUGE so this year they had a VIP event before the book signing. I was able to get a ticket which allowed me into the room three hours early with a group of only 25 people! She answered questions (I was even brave enough to ask a few!) and she told stories. As you came in, you received a ticket with a number. Then when she started to sign books, you were called up by your number. I was there early, so I was fourth in line.

Getting ready to leave. I was so excited, so Josh got a picture of me with my VIP ticket.
Along with the ticket, they also wrote your name on a sticky note. Then when Marcia signed our books, she knew how to spell our names. While she was in the middle of signing my books, she grabbed my ticket and signed it too. I thought that was totally awesome, because she had already signed so many books. I took all of my books and bought a book for a friend so in total Marcia signed 24 books and my ticket for me. When it was my turn I asked her to sign ten and if there was time at the end I would come back up to get the others signed, but she told me just pile them on the table and she did them all right then. A few people had a couple books and a few people had several books, but I think I had the most. A few commented that they are still buying her books, they have to okay it with their husbands. Just another reason to love my husband, he doesn't seem to mind when I buy books.
Marcia's husband was also there with her. Her books, "An Old Fashioned Romance" and "The Highwayman of Tanglewood" was inspired because of him. Her friends had once convinced him to dress up like Zorro and come to a restaurant on her birthday. When I saw other people getting his signature, I jumped in that line too. This is his picture in the back of "The Highwayman of Tanglewood." I thought it was also sweet how she didn't sign each book exactly the same. She had a few messages that she alternated through. Each book she would write my name, and then double check the cover; it seemed like each book had its own signature line.
She is as bubbly as she looks in her pictures. It was so cool getting to meet her. I can't wait for next year!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I can't believe she signed all your books. That's awesome! When I met my favorite author, Richard Paul Evans, last winter, he signed one per person so I got one of my books signed and my brother, who took me, got another one of my books signed. He was the same way with a personalized message depending on the book title and I liked that.

Ken and Kelly said...

ok so i LOVE to read....guess I will have to check these out