Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Some finding ideas

Open adoption is awesome because the birth mother gets to choose the family that feels right for her child. Because of this, it is all that more important to spread the word when you are looking to adopt.

Do you have an adoption blog or an online profile? Change your email settings so that EVERY TIME you send an email those addresses are included in your signature line. EVERY email I send has the following:

Savannah
Utah
Approved to adopt with LDSFS since January 2008
Please visit our family blog! http://countlesstomorrows.blogspot.com
Don't forget to check out our adoption blog! http://joshandsavannahadopt.blogspot.com

Another thing I love to do is when I leave comments on other blogs, I always end it by saying "We are looking to adopt. Check out our adoption blog at http://joshandsavannahadopt.blogspot.com."

I LOVE to leave this on high traffic blogs like Cake Wrecks. I try to be one of the first to leave a comment so everyone else who leaves a comment behind me will see it. I try to do this 2 or 3 times a month. EVERY TIME I do it, the traffic to my blog increases astronomically and almost always someone will leave a comment on our adoption blog and tell a brief summary of their own adoption stories.

You never know how you will meet your birth mother so don't limit yourself. Step out of your comfort zone and speak up for yourself. You are your best advocate.

----
What have you done to increase your finding efforts?

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love this post, thanks for the ideas! One thing I did immediately after we got approved was to write a letter to all our family, friends and ward members. It was just one page but listed every possible way to contact us. I enclosed 10 pass along cards with every letter and encouraged everyone to give them to their bishops andr relief society leaders. In one week I sent out 1200 pass along cards. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback since then and many people have given out our pass along cards to potentional birthmothers!
It makes the time go by faster when I'm actively doing something to promote us!
Best of luck to you!