Saturday, September 20, 2008

Anticipating Halloween

I am so excited for Halloween! It is my favorite time of year. I love the fall colors and I love pumpkins. I think that is because my dad grew such a large pumpkin patch. He grew other things too like corn, squash, tomatoes, sunflowers, and various other vegetables, but I think most fondly of the pumpkins.

They were a lot of work although looking back I think he did most of the work himself. I remember pulling weeds some, but mostly we had to help pick them and then sell them. I loved working the pumpkin stand. I could always find the perfect pumpkin for the customers. I remember one little girl that was so excited about her pumpkin that she ran to the car without her change and I had to chase her down.

My dad grew all sizes of pumpkins and each year he would let me and my siblings pick out a big pumpkin to take to school. It would sit in the corner of the room all month and then usually the teacher would let us carve it during our classroom Halloween party.

Now that we live in a bigger place my decorating has gotten a little out of hand. Already this year I have bought at least a dozen new decorations! I keep trying to put off getting everything out, but my resolve is weakening and I think I will put everything out next weekend even though Josh wants me to wait until October is here.

No comments: