Sunday, April 21, 2013

Crazy Weather & Quick Life Update

If April showers bring May flowers, what does April snow bring?
Towards the end of March, winter finally seemed on its way out of here. I even wore sandals for a few days.
Then, on April 9th, I woke up to well over a foot of snow, and it was still coming. When I went out to start my car, I couldn't even get the doors open, they were frozen solid. Since Josh was away for work, I called my supervisor and told her, "if you want me at work, you'll have to come get me."
So she did. And then we got stuck. Luckily I could hear my landlord on his tractor, so we called him and he came and rescued us.
That night, I came home to find the snow had stopped, but not melted.
Nor did it melt the next day. Sigh, at least its pretty.
 Then, it snowed again on the 15th. Again, we got about a foot. By this point, we had gotten more snow in a weeks time, then we did all winter.
 Tuesday, the 16th, was by far, the WORST! I knew it had been snowing all night again, because the power flickered off a few times during the night. I got up, plugged in my hair straightener and then went to look outside. Just as I turned the front room light on, the power went off. And didn't come back on. I threw my hair stuff and makeup in a bag, put on a hat, and decided to get ready at work.
Ha ha.
Almost the ENTIRE basin was without power that day. For me, that meant spending the entire day answering the back up phones at work and explaining that because of the severe weather, power was out everywhere; but our guys were out there working on getting it back on.
At noon, I realized, I would never get my hair or make up done. It was a long day for everyone. I feel so bad for those who were without power, all day. And I felt bad for the linemen who were out in the storm trying to get it all restored. Some areas were without power over 12 hours.
Then, to round off the crazy week, I had a jury duty summons on Wednesday. But after answering phones ALL DAY on Tuesday, I was actually pretty excited. I had never been chosen before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I knew it would be a lot calmer and quitter then Tuesday.
In the end, I didn't get chosen. Which I guess is a pretty big deal since I was #3 on the list.
Training for the new job is going well. I even had to do one thing by myself one day when my coworker called in sick. I'm also learning that I picked a good time to leave Facebook. With all the training, I don't have time to get online much anymore. And when I get home at night, I'm too exhausted.
This weather is also making it hard to train for a 5k. A month, or so, ago, Vanessa, Josh and I signed up for the electric run in Salt Lake City in September. But I wasn't too stressed because September feels forever away.
But then, Vanessa told us about a Mud Run 5K in Roosevelt in July and we decided to sign up for it too. Now I'm feeling a little panicked I won't be in good enough shape. I detest running, but also, I don't want to be the wuss that walks the 5K.
So Josh found a plan online that was couch to 5K in 15 weeks. But by that point, it was only 13 weeks until the first run. But its not like I'm going from "couch potato", so I wasn't terribly worried. I decided to just skip the first 2 weeks and start there.
Then it snowed. And melted. And Froze. And repeat. That made it pretty much impossible to run outside. So I've been trying to run with my Wii Fit, but I know, its not the same thing.
Finally, last Sunday, I ran outside for the first time. Somebody, please shoot me. I thought I was going to die. Josh told me I did pretty good, considering it was my first time running AND the wind was blowing. He said it was much easier when the wind isn't blowing.
And he was right. I ran again yesterday. This time no wind. And I did much better. Maybe I can do this after all. 

1 comment:

Jessica said...

The power at our house went off for a time I guess because I had to reset clocks, but it was while we were at work so I guess we were lucky!