Thursday, May 24, 2012

Alaska Cruise - Day 8: Seattle

Early Sunday morning, we arrived in Seattle. Earlier in the week, we had signed up for the BAGS program. The ship would take our bags off the ship, to the airport and make sure they were on our plane. We didn't have to deal with our bags until we landed in Salt Lake City. It was well worth the extra money.
Looking off the ship towards Mount Rainier.

Looking at the space needle from our ship.

The BAGS program was great for two things. 1) They took our bags to the airport for us so we didn't have to haul them around with us. 2) It made it possible for us to get off the ship when we wanted to, rather then wait for our turn to check off. We saved ourselves 2-3 hours of mindless sitting on the ship.

Of course we had the option to keep a carry on for essentials and pack it around while we were in Seattle. I didn't even want to do that. So the night before I packed up everything but our clothes for the next day, my make up, my kindle & Josh's book, and our flight paperwork. I will admit, the next morning I missed my hair straightener and hair spray. But after walking all over for most of the day, I decided it was well worth it to have gone without. 

We got off the ship around 8:00 and decided to walk to the space needle. The weather in Seattle was gorgeous.

I think the elevator at the space needle was the only one we rode during our entire vacation, but Josh would have taken the stairs if they would have let him. I was just proud of us for sticking to our goal of no elevators on the ship.

Standing at the top of the space needle with our ship in the background.

Seattle had a "Color Me Rad" 5K that day that ended right under the space needle.
After the space needle, our group split up. We decided, along with Randi and Todd, to walk back to the ship and then on past it to Pike Place Market. That place was so cool! It was Mother's Day and they had flowers everywhere. I bet they stretched for a mile.

Josh & I decided to each buy a peach.

After exploring Pikes Place, we walked to the light rail rode it to the airport to meet up with Jessica and Andrew. Our flight was right on time and we were on our way home. When we had flown to Vancouver, I got a a little sick. This time I didn't. Instead, I got paranoid. After we took off and flew over Mount Rainier, I fell asleep. I woke when the pilot announced we were starting our decent into Salt Lake. I looked out the window and all I could see was sky and I was convinced we were falling. Josh knew something was up because I had a death grip on his hand. After about 5 minutes (of shear panic on my part), I happened to look backwards out the window, and I could see the wing. After that I was calm. When we flew out, the wing was right outside my window, but on this flight, we were in the very front. So if I ever fly again, I just need to make sure I can see the wing.
Our vacation was amazing. I loved having Josh to myself for a solid week. I loved spending so much time with our friends. I loved seeing new country (I regularly joked I was NOT excited to come home to the desert).  It really was the perfect week.


Jessica said...

It was a beautiful day in Seattle!

KT said...

I always love flying into Seattle and seeing Rainer...Baker...the beautiful mountains. It does sound like a nice trip. I suppose we are struggling with the cost of Alaska and trying to balance it out with getting a little more time off work. It we spend so much to get there, we want to take advantage of it. Thank you for sharing your adventure...loved it!