Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fondant Decorating Class: Week 4

Fondant has been my favorite of the three cake decorating classes I took. Its a bit of work, but I've decided each type of icing is a bit of work. But I always love the finished project so it is worth the effort.

Last night I started by finishing my Quilled flowers. I like how they turned out, but I liked Jessica's more. I made mine by forming each petal and then stuffing the smaller petal inside the outer petal. She made hers by making the smaller petal and then wrapping the outer petal around the smaller one.


While I finished my flowers Randi and Kim made marshmallow fondant. I was a little jealous because it looked like so much fun. You start by melting a bag of marshmallows with a little bit of water. Then when they are melted you add in powdered sugar and mix it with your hands. Then you knead it for several minutes. I can't wait to try it on my own. Plus it taste much better then Wilton Fondant.

I should have got my camera out and took pictures at each step. But I was running behind the others in class because I didn't have a vision for my cake yet.

You start by crumb frosting your cake with butter cream frosting. This helps lock the moisture in and it helps the fondant stick to the cake. After you roll your fondant out, you use the rolling pin to drape it over the cake. Then you smooth the edges down with your fingers and then a fondant smoother. I love how smooth a cake looks with fondant frosting.

I knew I wanted some color on it so I finally decided to add some stripes up the side. I will admit I probably rushed it too much. I didn't measure my stripes and I just eyeballed it when I put them on the cake. Then I needed a border to hide the stripes edges. So I used my flowers. I thought about adding my Quilled flowers, but I thought they would be too much so I decided to leave them off.

Here's my final project!



Randi is taking a break from classes for the holiday season, but she will pick back up in January. You can see a list of her class schedule at the top of her blog HERE. 



2 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the compliment on the flowers, but I still really liked yours. If I had to do mine over I would have done them multi-colored like yours. I like the way your cake turned out with the big flower border on the bottom and the smaller flower border on the top. Very cute!

Tammy said...

Cute, cute cake. You are really learning a lot and it's beautiful. I really liked the stipes sith the flowers.