Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cake Decorating Class: Week 2

Cake class was so much FUN this week! This week we had to bring our own frosting. I made mine Monday night and then took it to work on Tuesday and put it in the fridge. It has to be at room temperature to use it, so I pulled it out of the fridge around 2:00. When you are working with the frosting, you have to keep a damp towel over the bowl so the frosting doesn't get crusty. My frosting was in a sealed Tupperware, but I didn't know if I should use the damp towel or not. I was so stressed and worried that my frosting would be crusty when I got to class. But it was fine. You just use the damp towel when you are working with it. If it is out to reach room temperature, a sealed container is just fine.

We used the same tip we used last week. This week we learned how to do zigzag, a swirly line (I can't remember what our teacher called it), and stars.
I decided to practice my shells again, just to remember how to do them. I think I'm getting better.
This is the zigzag border. It is so much fun to do.
The wavy line is by far the easiest border to do. Especially if you are willing to forget that it should be symmetrical on both the up and down side. I guess I'll keep working on that part.
Stars were so much fun. I think they are so pretty.

This was the bear before we frosted him.
Maybe stars aren't as fun as I thought...
They were so easy on a flat surface. It was a bit more work trying to put them on a 3D cake.
Our teacher made chocolate cake so we could see our gaps. I had a lot of gaps.
But it still turned out so CUTE!
Here is every one holding their bears.
Here is a close up of every one's bears.
Jessica, Kim and I decided that we want to get a weekly apron picture.
Next week we get to learn about flowers. I can't wait.

Josh helped me eat part of the cake last night. He declared that he loves butter cream frosting and he can't wait for next weeks class.

You can learn more about Randi's cake decorating upcoming classes HERE.

3 comments:

KT said...

You have made me want to go home and get out my bags & tips! Do you have a special frosting recipe you would like to share?

Savannah said...

So far we have only made Buttercream frosting. It is the recipe on the www.wilton.com website. I think all of our recipes will come from there.

Elizabeth and Brian said...

ohhh yum. I wish I was there.