Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Last night...

Last night was Josh's first night of class. It was an unadventurous night for him. Last night was also my first night home alone waiting for him to get home from class. It could have been adventurous for me, but I was off in my own little world watching TV and crocheting. I almost pulled out of it, when I was rudely interrupted by Zipper jumping from the kitchen cupboards/wall onto the couch and nearly landing in my lap. I scolded him, and then went back to crocheting.

That is when I started to hear a noise, a high pitched squeak. I looked over at the cats a few times to see them looking intently at the computer desk. I went over a few times, but each time I got there the noise stopped and I couldn't see anything.

About that time Josh called to say he was on his way home from class. We talked for a minute and "The Big Bang Theory" came back on so I hung up. About a half an hour later I called to see if he was closer and if I should warm his dinner up. While visiting with him, I heard the noise again and it seemed louder, so I hung up and went to investigate. That's hard to do with kitties in the way. Finally I got a half decent look behind the desk and I could see something fuzzy. I called Josh back and told him a mouse was stuck behind the desk.

I was all ready when he got home. I had the chairs pushed out of the way, the broom found, and kitties there to help as backup. I was also perched on the kitchen table so I could view the action, but not have to worry about it climbing up my leg.

Seconds later I was running down the hall, with the kitties. I locked myself in the bedroom and yelled at Josh to come get me when it was safe. What inspired this quick retreat? I was wrong, it wasn't a mouse...it was a bat.

Josh was able to save me from the creature. We don't know how it got stuck, and I've decided Zipper was on the wall chasing it (hence the great leap off). Josh had to use our fire tongs to pinch it's wing and get it out. I didn't come out of the bedroom until he assured me it was dead. I can't decide if I'm glad I didn't notice it before it got stuck or not. I probably would have really freaked out if I had, so I think it was a good thing.

Here is some fun trivia to make your stomach roll. Did you know if you have a bat encounter, chances are you have been bitten by a bat? Their bites are so small you don't even feel them. Oh, and this is my 3rd bat encounter. I had one as a child and about a year ago we woke up to find Zipper had killed one during the night.

6 comments:

Desi said...

Holy cow!! I wonder how the bat got in? My cat that I had when I was growing up would catch bats all the time, and leave them in front of the gate at the side of the house - meaning that when an unsuspecting person (me) would open the gate, it would graze the bat, making it chitter and squeek (they were incapacitated but not dead) and me SCREAM! Funny now, but scary every time! :) I think my kitties now would be more afraid of the bat than it would be of them!!! LOL

Bats are super good to have around to eat mosquitos! I HATE mosquitos, so that's why I'll put up with bats... but I didn't know I may have been bitten! Yikes!

Jessica said...

I also have these kind of experiences with my cat and always when Andrew is gone. He calls them my misadventures with the cat! I think it's better you didn't find it until after Josh was almost home!!

Ashley said...

Oh wow.

I have to now blog about Barney....

Elizabeth and Brian said...

I bet the cats had a ball that night,.

Brady and Richelle said...

I seriously can't stop laughing because I can totally see this whole situation playing like a movie in my head. Maybe when he's at class we should get together and scrapbook or something haha.

The other night there were two bats outside my house by our garage and one swooped at me and I SCREAMED at the top of my lungs--I think I scared Davin more then the bat did--but he started crying haha!

Christine Dallimore said...

EEEEEWWWW.....I would have just FREAKED out!! I hate mice, but I really HATE bats!!! Terrified of them. I'm glad you are safe though and that your hubby was able to save the day!