Thursday, June 11, 2015

God is great

I can not let this day end without praising God.

I've been praying for a friend. Over and over I just kept telling God, "Keep her safe. Bring her home."

Earlier this week, I had to remind myself that God works on his own timing and I might have to just be patient with Him. "Keep her safe. Keep her son safe. Help her find a way to come home."

God has changed my heart over the last several months. I'm kinder. I'm less selfish. I look for ways I can help my fellow man.

Sometimes, it was something as simple as helping a mother clean up the milk her son spilled in a restaurant because I saw her walk in on crutches.

But sometimes, God opens doors and makes big things happen.

My friend and her son were able to come home one night this week. They didn't have anything. But they were home.

For two nights, I've laid awake for hours. The first night, it was just to praise God. But last night, I wanted to do something for her. I want her to know how much she is loved. How precious she is.

As I was falling asleep, I started to come up with a game plan. I have some extra money set aside because I want to buy a new couch. God reminded me, I have a couch. I have a bed. I have a closet full of clothes. A new couch can wait.

So then I thought, okay. I can spend $300. I thought that would be a good start. I wanted to get her a gift card for clothes and another one for groceries.

But God is a God of miracles. In the middle of the night, I remembered I already have a gift card for a clothing store. I went to spend it a few months ago, but couldn't find it. I finally convinced myself I had accidentally thrown it away and I just paid for the new clothes. A week later I found that gift card. It was right where I knew I had put it. I had looked in that spot twice before I went to buy new clothes and couldn't find it. So I decided to save it for another time.

I cried when I realized God found a way to turn my $300 into $400 because of a simple gift card.

But God wasn't finished.

This morning, I opened my purse to find a $100 check I haven't cashed yet. If it can just sit in my purse for a week without me needing it, it can be used for something else. God took my now $400 and turned it into $500.

God is great. I knew someone would be the city this weekend, so I put the $100 into their account and asked them to go to Costco and buy me diapers.

Then I took my remaining $300 (plus I still had the gift card), and decided I wanted to buy a bed. I asked on the Facebook Yardsale group for a full size bed. God found me a queen size bed. And it was free. And God also provided a high chair, clothes, blankets (and just barely made) and other odds & ends.

All day, God has opened doors for me. I have friends going through closets to give me clothes for her and her son. Toys for her son. I wanted her to know she was loved. But I didn't know that complete strangers would step up and show that love.

I was able to take my money and buy bedding, a toaster oven and a few odds and ends. And when I left, I still had $100 left. At this point, I can't deny God and his miracles. It didn't feel like my money anymore, so it'll be used to buy food or whatever else is needed.

God is great.

The day is done, but God isn't. Offers continue to roll in. One friend offered a car seat, but I don't need it because someone had already provided one. But still, I've found enough to stuff to feel my truck again. Toddler bed, coffee table, bedside table. The list goes on and on. Her family is seeing these miracles too. 

God is great. 

1 comment:

Mali said...

I'm glad your friend and her son are okay, and that her friends are able to rally around for her. That's very special.