Sunday, May 25, 2014

Home Improvement Project: Painting

When we first saw our home, we fell in love. With just about everything...except one color that was on several walls. Some would call it orange, others yellow. I dubbed it the ugly, burnt mustard yellow. 

BEFORE:
 The problem was, the one thing I hated more than it was painting. So we decided to live with it for the time being. I even had a friend offer to paint it for me, but it would mean waiting until her life calmed down while their own home was for sale. Which was fine.

Until, one day, I saw a relative of Josh's post on Facebook they were looking to make some extra money. I asked if they painted. By the time Josh got home from work (an hour later), it was all arranged. I just needed to buy the supplies. 

I had also lucked out on some extra money that made it all possible. I wanted to do something meaningful with it and putting it into the home seemed like the perfect solution. The "ugly yellow" was on one wall in the living room, one wall in the half bath and then entire master bedroom.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
 We actually ended up painting three walls in the living room. I had a hard time matching the cream color that the ugly yellow wall touched, so we decided to just paint over all but the green walls, so they would all match. 

 I didn't have a before picture of the the half bath, but here is the after. I actually bought a tan paint for it, but in the end, I decided to use the blue that was left over from our bedroom.  

BEFORE:

I couldn't make my mind up on our bedroom. I almost went with just the cream color all the way around, but in the end, decided to do an accent wall in blue. We both love how it turned out. 

AFTER:

The one thing we have noticed it how much brighter the room is! I ordered the exact same black out curtains I had before. The curtain itself does a great job of keeping out the light. But the light sneaks in the top and lights up the entire room. 

That was supposed to be all we were going to do, but in the end, I decided to paint the upstairs bathroom also. The color didn't bother me, but the previous owner had left some huge spackle holes and I wanted them covered up. 

I'm still looking for new bathroom decor, but haven't found anything I like yet. 

We have loved our home even more since covering up the "ugly yellow" walls. I'm so glad I decided to do it and that Josh was so wonderful to let me. I will admit, one of the reasons I put off home ownership for so long was because I was worried about home repairs. But now I've learned, I could be addicted to home improvement. Since the painting was finished, I have added several things to my "wish" list. Some are small and won't be hard to tackle, but others will be more expensive. 

I also found a pretty flower pot for our porch for the summer. 

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Your new paint looks great! And I love your new flower pot. :)