Sunday, February 6, 2011

Book Club - "The Highwayman of Tanglewood" by Marcia Lynn McClure

This month it was my turn to choose the book for book club. I really struggled with my choice. I wanted to choose my favorite book, but I was worried some of the gals wouldn't like it. But in the end I decided I would be unloyal to myself if I didn't choose MY favorite book by my FAVORITE author, Marcia Lynn McClure. Her books always make me swoon. They are so romantic and yet also very clean. If my house was on fire, her books are something I would try to get out before the house burnt down. 

So I chose "The Highwayman of Tanglewood."


Its so hard to choose a favorite scene in this book. So hard! But here is part of one of my FAVORITE kissing scenes.

 "The emerald fire in his eyes caught blaze as he smiled and she was undone. Closing her eyes as Lochlan Rockrimmon's head descended toward hers, Faris harshly scolded herself--scolded herself until the instant she felt Lochlan's lips press against her own. She gasped as he drew her body against his with great strength and determination.

His kiss lingered upon her lower lip--lingered against her upper lip. She was near to crying out for want of his mouth full pressed to hers.

He whispered then, "a shared kiss is required, Faris--if you wish to be free of me."

Instantly, his mouth captured hers, coaxing her lips to part. Faris melted against him, her resolve to resist in returning his kiss utterly vanquished as passion caught flame and smoldered between them. He was strong--powerful! His kiss was moist, demanding, overpowering in rendering a sense of intoxication to Faris' full body and mind. Faris despised herself--for she reveled in the bliss evoked by Lochlan Rockrimmon's kiss as deeply as she ever reveled in the bliss found in the arms of the Highwayman of Tanglewood!

His rough whiskers assaulted the flesh about her mouth. His strong hands caressed her arms, tightened about her waist, wove fingers through her hair.

"Will you not touch me, Faris? Will you not embrace me?" he asked in a whisper. "Will you not let me feel the warmth of your full self in returning our kiss?"

Faris knew she must break from him, but not before she had held him in return. His words were as a warm rain and she melded to him, letting her arms go around him--her mouth working with his to generate a passionate exchange the like she had shared with just one other.

A deep moan rose from his throat as he pushed her back against the wall. His body pressed hers as he kissed her, his hands fisted and hard-pressed on the wall at either side of her head. His kiss was ambrosial in nature--perfect in its heated application and coaxing response.

Faris pulled away at once, stepping out of his embrace and away from him. What had she done? She had never imagined herself capable of such unfaithfulness.
(pages 235-236)


I also made dinner for book club. Usually when I have guests, I will only serve the tried and proven true meals. But I decided to be brave and try something totally new. It was a big deal because if things don't turn out in the kitchen, I throw a fit. Josh calls them my kitchen fits and he knows to just leave the room and leave me alone. These kitchen fits are also while I'll never make pies again.

For dinner I served The Great White Chili from the Better Than Burgers Website. It was so good! We almost didn't save enough for Josh. (Which would have been mean since he cooked the chili for me.) I served it with chips and Jenga Bread sticks. They were fun to make and I loved how short they were. (Sorry I forgot to take picture of dinner, we were having too much fun.) We almost forgot about dessert, (sorry Randi), but before Kim & Jessica left, one of them remembered it. It was Lemonade Pie, also from Better Than Burgers and it was a huge hit! I made mine with Raspberry Lemonade. YUM! It probably a good thing its stored in the basement freezer or I would have eaten it all by now.

When we first started book club, I promised everyone bookmarks. True to myself, I decided I better have one of every color known to man in two different designs so everyone could get one they liked and not have to fight over some. I finally pooped out after making all of one design in every color. I let them know if they liked the other design better, they could choose a color and I would make it. I had the book marks all crocheted, so all they had to do was thread the ribbon in. I loved every one's bookmarks.


It was a fun night and I can't wait for next months book club. :)

No comments: